Subclass 820 Partner Visa (Temporary)

Applying for a Temporary Partner Visa to stay in Australia? We can help.

Apply to remain in Australia white your Permanent Partner Visa application is processed

If you're currently living with your partner in Australia and you wish to remain here on a permanent basis, the Subclass 820 Partner Visa (Temporary) is the first step in the process. This visa allows you to stay in Australia and work, study and have access to Medicare until a decision is made about your Subclass 801 Partner Visa (Permanent).

To be eligible for the Subclass 820 Partner Visa (Temporary), you must be married to or in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen or permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen. You can include your  dependent children in your application, but they must also be in Australia when you apply.

The 820 Partner Visa (Temporary) and the Subclass 801 Partner Visa (Permanent) are applied for on one application form and paid for with one application fee, but they are processed at two different stages. In most cases, paperwork for Second Stage Processing of your Subclass 801 Partner Visa (Permanent) can be submitted approximately two years after you apply for the Subclass 820 Partner Visa (Temporary).

Click here for more information about your 801 Partner Visa.

Unsure of what supporting documents you need for a successful partner visa application?

Download your FREE Partner Visa guide and checklist

Navigating partner visas can be complex and overwhelming, download our step-by-step Partner Visa Guide and checklist that simplifies the process for you.

How Port Migration assists Subclass 820 Partner Visa applicants

When applying for your Subclass 820 Partner Visa (Temporary), Port Migration can assist you in the following ways:
  • We will provide an impartial assessment of your visa eligibility, based on the information you provide
  • We can advise you on the evidence you will need to present with your application to prove the genuine, long-term and committed nature of your relationship
  • We will assist you with the preparation and lodgement of your Subclass 820 Partner Visa (Temporary) and the Subclass 801 Partner Visa (Permanent) applications
  • We will assist you with ongoing correspondence with the Department of Home Affairs.

The Port Migration difference

At Port Migration, we are committed to representing your best interests in the visa application process. We put together an individual visa strategy for you and we use our many years of industry experience to make the process as simple and straightforward as possible.

As Registered Migration Agents, bound by the Migration Agents Code of Conduct, you can rely on our service to be ethical and professional, and we offer expert representation to Home Affairs on your behalf in the processing of your visa application.

Our industry knowledge and case-by-case approach ensure the best results for each of our clients. Learn more about Port Migration.

If you'd like to find out more about our expertise and how Port Migration has helped others achieve visa success, contact us today.

Common Questions

previous arrow
next arrow


What is a Subclass 820 Partner Visa?

The Subclass 820 Partner Visa is a temporary visa for partners of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens. It allows you to live in Australia while your permanent Partner Visa (Subclass 801) is processed. This visa is the first step toward permanent residency for partners who are already in Australia.

Who is eligible for a Subclass 820 Partner Visa?

To be eligible, you must be in a genuine and ongoing relationship with an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen. This relationship can be a marriage, de facto partnership, or registered relationship. You must be in Australia when you apply and when the visa is granted, and you need to meet health and character requirements.

How long does it take to process a Subclass 820 Partner Visa?

Processing times for the Subclass 820 visa can vary. On average, it takes about 6 to 24 months for the visa to be processed. Factors that can affect processing times include the completeness of your application, how quickly you respond to requests for additional information, and the current caseload of the Department of Home Affairs. You can keep up to date with current processing times on our Youtube Channel.

What documents do I need to apply for a Subclass 820 Partner Visa?

You will need a range of documents to support your application, including proof of your relationship (such as joint bank account statements, lease agreements, and photos together), identity documents (passport, birth certificate), and evidence of your sponsor's citizenship or permanent residency status. You will also need to provide police checks and may be required to undergo health examinations. You can Download our Free Guide to Partner Visas for more information.

Can I work or study on a Subclass 820 Partner Visa?

Yes, holders of a Subclass 820 Partner Visa have full work rights in Australia. You can also study. This visa allows you to live, work, and study in Australia while you wait for your permanent visa (Subclass 801) to be processed.

What happens if my relationship ends while on a Subclass 820 Partner Visa?

If your relationship ends while your Subclass 820 visa is being processed, you must notify the Department of Home Affairs. The outcome will depend on your individual circumstances. In some cases, the visa application may be canceled, but there are exceptions, such as if you have children with your partner or if you can demonstrate that the relationship ended due to family violence.

Can I include my children in my Subclass 820 Partner Visa application?

Yes, you can include dependent children in your Subclass 820 Partner Visa application. They must meet the health and character requirements, and you will need to provide evidence of your relationship with them, such as birth certificates. Children included in your application will have the same visa conditions and rights as you.

What are the health and character requirements for a Subclass 820 Partner Visa?

Applicants must undergo health examinations to ensure they meet Australia's health standards. This may include medical, x-ray, and HIV tests. For character requirements, you must provide police certificates from every country you have lived in for 12 months or more over the past 10 years. The Department of Home Affairs assesses character based on these certificates.

Can I travel outside Australia while my Subclass 820 Partner Visa is being processed?

If you need to travel, you can apply for a Bridging Visa B (BVB), which allows you to leave and return to Australia temporarily while your application is processed.

How do I transition from a Subclass 820 to a Subclass 801 Partner Visa?

The Subclass 801 Partner Visa is the permanent stage of the Partner Visa process. Approximately two years after you apply for the Subclass 820 visa, the Department of Home Affairs will invite you to submit additional documents to transition to the Subclass 801 visa. You will need to provide updated evidence of your ongoing relationship and meet any additional health and character requirements. You can learn more about Permanent Partner Visa Processing on our blog.

Let us help you secure your future in Australia

Our Registered Migration Agents specialise in making Partner Visa applications tailored, simple and stress free. We are here to guide you through every step, helping you secure your future in Australia.