Subclass 801 Partner Visa

Want to continue living with your partner in Australia? We can help you apply for a Permanent Partner Visa.

Ensure a secure future for you
and your partner

If you are currently living in Australia holding a Subclass 820 Temporary Partner Visa, we can help with the paperwork for second stage processing of your Subclass 801 Partner Visa (Permanent).

The Subclass 820 Partner Visa (Temporary) and the Subclass 801 Partner Visa (Permanent) are both applied for on the same application form and have a single application fee, but they are processed at two different stages. In most cases, paperwork for Second Stage Processing of your Subclass 801 Partner Visa (Permanent) can be submitted approximately two years after you apply for
the Subclass 820 Partner Visa (Temporary).

If you are granted a Permanent Residency Partner Visa, you are entitled to stay in Australia indefinitely, work and study, apply for Australian citizenship, receive some social benefits and sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence status.

Click here for more information about your 820 Temporary Partner Visa.

Unsure of what supporting documents you need for a successful partner visa application?

Download your FREE Partner Visa guide and checklist

Navigating partner visas can be complex and overwhelming, download our step-by-step Partner Visa Guide and checklist that simplifies the process for you.

How Port Migration can assist Permanent Partner Visa applicants

To assist you in obtaining your Subclass 801 Partner Visa (Permanent), we can help you in the following ways:
  • We conduct an assessment of your visa eligibility, which is based on the information provided by you
  • We advise you on the evidence you will be required to include with your application to prove your relationship is genuine and long-term
  • We help you prepare and lodge both the Subclass 820 Partner Visa (Temporary) and the Subclass 801 Partner Visa (Permanent)
  • We assist with ongoing correspondence between you and the Department of Home Affairs.

Why choose Port Migration to help?

Port Migration was founded with the aim of providing potential migrants toAustralia with a friendly and professional service that makes visa applications much easier.

Our dedicated team are committed to representing your best interests in the application process and we use our extensive industry experience to make everything as simple and straightforward as we can.

We are Registered Migration Agents who are bound by the Migration Agents Code of Conduct, so you can be confident that our service is both ethical and professional and that you are receiving expert representation in the processing of your visa application.

We tailor a strategy to your individual circumstances, ensuring the best results for each of our clients

Contact us to find out more about what we do and how we’ve helped others achieve success with their visa applications.

Common Questions

previous arrow
next arrow


What is a Subclass 801 Permanent Partner Visa?

The Subclass 801 Permanent Partner Visa is a visa that allows the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen to live permanently in Australia. This visa is usually granted to individuals who have already held a temporary Partner Visa (Subclass 820).  Find out more about Partner Visas here.

Who is eligible for a Subclass 801 Permanent Partner Visa?

To be eligible for the Subclass 801 visa, you must already hold a temporary Partner Visa (Subclass 820) and be in a genuine and ongoing relationship with your sponsor. You must meet health and character requirements and continue to demonstrate your relationship's authenticity and stability.

How long does it take to process a Subclass 801 Permanent Partner Visa?

Processing times for the Subclass 801 visa vary, but it generally takes between 6 to 24 months from the time of application. The processing time depends on the completeness of your application, the promptness of your responses to any additional information requests, and the Department of Home Affairs' current workload. Subscribe on YouTube Channel for regular Partner Visa Processing Updates.

What documents do I need to apply for a Subclass 801 Permanent Partner Visa?

You will need to provide documents such as proof of your ongoing relationship (joint bank statements, lease agreements, and photos together), identity documents (passport, birth certificate), and evidence of your sponsor's Australian citizenship, permanent residency, or eligible New Zealand citizenship. You may also need to provide police checks and updated health examinations. Download the Free Guide to Partner Visas for more information.

Can I work or study on a Subclass 801 Permanent Partner Visa?

Yes, holders of a Subclass 801 visa have full work and study rights in Australia. You can work for any employer and study at any educational institution without restrictions. Additionally, you may be eligible for go funding and support for education

What happens if my relationship ends while on a Subclass 801 Permanent Partner Visa?

If your relationship ends while your Subclass 801 visa application is being processed, you must inform the Department of Home Affairs. The outcome depends on your specific circumstances. Once your Subclass 801 visa is granted you are an Australian Permanent Resident and you do not need to inform Home Affairs about any changes in relationship status.

When can I apply for Australian Citizenship?

Australian Permanent Residents can apply for Citizenship when they meet the relevant requirements. You can learn more here.

Can I travel outside Australia while my Subclass 801 Permanent Partner Visa is being processed?

Yes, you can travel outside Australia holding your Subclass 820 visa while your Subclass 801 permanent visa is being processed.

How do I transition from a Subclass 820 to a Subclass 801 Partner Visa?

Transitioning from a Subclass 820 to a Subclass 801 visa involves waiting for approximately two years from the date of your Subclass 820 application. The Department of Home Affairs will invite you to provide additional documents to demonstrate your ongoing relationship and meet any updated health and character requirements. Once satisfied, the Department will grant you the Subclass 801 visa, allowing you to live permanently in Australia. You can learn more here.

Let us help you secure your future in Australia

Our Registered Migration Agents specialise in making Partner Visa applications tailored, simple and stress free. We are here to guide you through every step, helping you secure your future in Australia.